Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Boston Invite

This past weekend Connie, Lex and I played with missCONNduct, the Connecticut Women's team, at Boston Invite. The first day started out rough - waking up at 4:45am to get there by 8am and then having to sit out the entire first game due to some weird subbing rotation because we had 20+ women. But when we finally got to play, the wait was worth it. We played some decent teams this weekend - a team from D.C. (perhaps the breakoff of Pi, the team Flip is on), 3 teams from Canada that all spoke French, a team from Minnesota called Pop(on which a former Ramona-ling from '99 played. It was really neat meeting her and chatting about the Ramona of former years), and the new Boston team called Hatch (playing them was like being a regionals all over again - there were a couple girls from Tufts, a few from BC, some more from Northeastern, etc etc. One of the girls from Tufts recognized me and asked if I had graduated from Yale yet ). Our final record for the weekend was 3-4.

A highlight of the weekend was when Connie threw a flick huck to win our second to last game on universe point. A flick huck!!!!! Connie!!!!!

Lex had a some great cutting and defending as well as driving. We were stopped on our way out of the parking lot towards home by our teammates because we had left the trunk open. Opps. And Connie and I were made fun of again for this last night at summer league.

I had a successful lay out for a run away dump throw :) and a few assits. Playing club is rough. The general feeling of the car on the way home was that we had never been this tired after a college tournament. But it was still great!

Overall, it was a really fun weekend. On top of all this ultimate playing, we also got to see a bunch of SuperMona - past and present - members. Sekol, Jasper and Friar - who from now on are the official favorite Superfly members - came to watch missCONNduct play for a few points. Raffi was also there and in is a close second with a clutch "Go Connie, Go Peach" cheer in our hardest game of the weekend. And on the shit list is Gabe - who did would not even wave to us from across the field. BOOO! However, it was really great to see everyone. Sekol, John Acheson, and Cantell are all playing for Colt 45 (Connecticut). Raffi and Gabe are playing for Philly Love (obvi). Friar and Jasper are play for Forge (Pittsburgh).

Aki was also there!!!!! It was really fun watching her mark up against Steffi (the '10ers freshman year captain) in her first game [Bashing Pinates v Mischeif]. Mona on Mona folks! It was actually amazing to see Steffi there. I haven't seen her since my freshman year, and she offered some words of encouragement for the coming season and captaining. Both of my freshman captains were there :) [Iris is on missCONNduct]

Other Mona players who I did not see/chat with much, but were there included Liz(Godiva), Tucker(Bent), Dorko(Bent), and the woman on Pop from '99. So, a great showing from Yale!

On Saturday night, I got to sleep over at Connie's sister's house, which is huge! We were so exhausted that we were barely able to shower and feed ourselves before passing out, but we did fit in a nice Cambridge stroll and some fro-yo (yum yum yum). And I got to sleep with Jenny :)

Miss you all! I can't wait to play in the fall with my dearest, darling Mona.

Love, Peachums

1 comment:

  1. OMG! Yeah, Pi was there (but so was Scandal, another women's team). I think they used another name at the tournament, probably Virago, because they mentioned being ranked second-to-last.

    I was unable to go because the Boston Invite was the same weekend that my dad was coming to DC. Now I wish that I had gone to the Boston Invite to see you girls!!!

    I'm amazed that Pop didn't own. I mean, they beat Lady Godiva at Nationals last year. They also have a girl from my summer league that played for Carleton there! She was B.A. Actually, another girl that was on my team plays for them too. I was so impressed with them last year.

    ReplyDelete