Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Mandatory Coed Showers?

I'm finally settled in here, complete with having found an ultimate team. They are called the Frizzly Bears, and there's coed and women's. I went to practice my second day here, and since they don't have enough women, I was immediately invited along to tournaments. I'm the youngest, and many of the other women are really really good. Everyone forgets that I don't speak any useful German, so now about half of my functional German vocabulary consists of ultimate words (and the other half has the pharses needed to buy ice cream).
I went to German College Nationals last weekend (in Halle)! It was really fun; it was an open tournament, so I got to mark up on guys and girls of all different skill levels. They have a really cool end of the game ritual: Players come off the field and shake hands. The players rom both teams get in a circle, interspersing as much as possible. The captain of the losing team first talks about the game, and then the capitain of the winning team talks. They talk both about what the other team did well, and what they could improve on. Then, one team walks on the inside of the circle, and the other in the oposite direction on the outside to slap hands, and thank each other for the game. I also learned a sweet new WAH style game, it involves being bunnies instead of chopping down trees. We also played rock pape scissors with cowboy, ninja and grizzly bear.
At the end of the day, we walked to the showers, walked into the bathroom, split up guys and girls, and walked into a locker room shower, only to find it full of naked people. If you wanted a shower... To make things worse, the water was cold. Gaah. An interesting introduction to the German ultimate community. One of the girls on my team joked with the guys that at least it was less awkward because we wouldn't really ever see them again. We went out to an italian place for dinner... and ran into that same guy. Awkward?
There's a mixed tourney this weekend. I'm waiting to see what could be more interesting.

1 comment:

  1. Yay for international post-game rituals!!

    Bring it to the states yo!

    ReplyDelete